Monday, February 4, 2013

General Tso's Chicken


I have to say, The flavor of the dish is right up there with my bourbon chicken.  I pretty much followed the directions & the sauce was very gelatinous.  Hopefully the way I have it posted will fix that problem.  Unfortunately, I wont know until I make it again.  So, if you do make it, report back to me.  Serve over rice & with some stir fry veggies to balance out the meal.  Egg rolls would have been a nice addition too!

Servings 5

Ingredients
 
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Cornstarch for dredging the chicken about 1/2-3/4 cup
1 cup green onions, sliced
4 small dried chilies, seeds removed (thai chilies are good, I used serrano peppers)

Sauce
1/8 cup cornstarch
1/8 cup water
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
 8 ounces chicken broth
 
Instructions
 
Place all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, mix well & set aside
Chop chicken into bite size pieces.  Place cornstarch for dredging chicken in a zip lock bag or in a bow.  Add chicken and toss to coat chicken in cornstarch.  Place a little oil in a pan & heat until hot.  Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides. I had to do this in batches, set the chicken aside once cooked.  Add green onions and peppers into the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Add sauce and stir until thick, if your pan is still hot from cooking the chicken & onions, the sauce should thicken right up.  Add in chicken into the sauce. Cook till the sauce starts to bubble (to ensure you don't get a yucky corn starch taste). 

No comments:

Post a Comment