Monday, June 21, 2010

Bruschetta'n Cheese- Stuffed Chicken Breast


I gotta say this recipe was surprisingly yummy. I of course only made 1/2 the recipe since there is just the two of us. It was pretty good in the oven but I think it would be just as good grilled! I was a little disappointed in the amount of waste I had with the stuffing mix. It just seemed like a total waste.

Serves 8

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or about 2 Tablespoons dried
1 pkg. (6oz) stove top stuffing mix for chicken ( I used about 1 1/2 cups stuffing mix from the stove top canister.
8 small boneless skineless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds) or chicken cutlets
1/3 cup Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan Dressing (I didn't have this, so I just used Italian dressing with some parm & added a few red pepper flakes).

Preheat oven to 350. Combine tomatoes with their liquid, 1/2 cup of the cheese, basil & dry stuffing mix; stir until moistened.
Place 2 chicken breast halves in a large freezer-weight resealable bag. Pound chicken with side of heavy can, rolling pin, meat mallet or skillet until chicken is 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves, adding 2 at a time to the bag. Place chicken top side down, on large cutting board; sprinkle evenly with stuffing mixture. Starting at one side of the breast, tightly roll up chicken (I had to use tooth picks to keep it from unrolling). Place seam-side down, in a 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Drizzle evenly with dressing.
Bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (170 degrees) & cheese is melted.

Note- I have not tried it, but I am sure it would be good. For a south west dish, prepare as directed substituting diced tomatoes with bell or jalapeno peppers for the Italian ones. Substitute mexican style cheese for the mozzarella & cilantro for for the basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment