Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spiced Beef and Apple Ragout


This as something a little different, so I thought I would give it a shot. It was pretty good. I would just make a few changes next time, as it was a little sweet for my taste.

Serves 6-8

1 1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon oil
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
1 can (6 ounces) thawed frozen apple juice concentrate, undiluted
2 firm red cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (I would use green)
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 teaspoons Thyme Leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground (I would probably only use 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1/2 teaspoon Ginger, Ground
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt

Coat meat with flour. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the meat; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Repeat with remaining meat.
Place meat and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Toss to coat well. Cover.
Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Thicken with additional flour, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment